The Pentagon has revealed that North Korea launched a ballistic missile Friday, just weeks after Pyongyang tested an intercontinental rocket capable of hitting parts of the United States.

South Korea’s military and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe also confirmed the launch while the governments in Seoul and Tokyo, convened meetings of their National Security Councils.

Pentagon spokesman Navy Captain Jeff Davis said the launch occurred at about 1445 GMT, but it was not immediately known what type of missile it was.

“I can confirm that we detected a launch of a ballistic missile from North Korea,” Davis told Pentagon reporters.

“We are assessing and will have more information soon.”

According to South Korea’s Yonhap news agency, the country’s military Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the missile was launched from North Korea’s Jagang province, and landed in the East Sea (Sea of Japan).

“There is a possibility that it landed within our EEZ (exclusive economic zone). We will be analysing it immediately and do our best for the safety of our people,” Abe told reporters in Tokyo.

The US military and South Korea had in recent days warned that North Korea appeared to be prepping for another missile test, likely of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), or else an intermediate-range rocket.

Pyongyang triggered global alarm when it test-fired

North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, on July 4, America’s Independence Day, personally oversaw the launch of its first ICBM, which experts believe could have the potential to reach Alaska describing it as a gift to the “American bastards.”

After the test, the United States launched a push at the United Nations for tougher measures against Pyongyang.

In all, six sets of UN sanctions have been imposed on North Korea since it first tested an atomic device in 2006, but two resolutions adopted last year significantly toughened the sanctions regime.

Do you have a gist for us??  Click here to submit your story

%d bloggers like this: