Manchester United eased into the EFL Cup semi-finals as they beat West Ham with manager Jose Mourinho absent from the Old Trafford dugout.

The Portuguese, given a one-match touchline ban before the game, stayed out of view as United set up a last-four tie against Hull City.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic clipped in the opening goal inside two minutes before former United youngster Ashley Fletcher equalised as he pounced on David de Gea’s error.

Anthony Martial re-established the home side’s lead shortly after half-time, drilling Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s pass low into the bottom corner.

The France international stroked in Antonio Valencia’s low cross after a well-worked team move, with Ibrahimovic adding the gloss by tapping in with virtually the last kick of the game.

Mourinho will have been pleased with his side’s fluent attacking display, and even happy enough to bring on substitute Bastian Schweinsteiger for his first game since March.

Southampton progressed to the semi-finals of the EFL Cup for the first time since 1987 thanks to a convincing victory over a below-par and under-strength Arsenal.

Goals from Jordy Clasie – his first for the club – and Ryan Bertrand secured victory for a Southampton side which inflicted a first defeat on the Gunners since the opening day of the season.

Manager Arsene Wenger, who has never won this competition during his 20-year reign in north London, had made 10 changes to the Arsenal team which beat Bournemouth 3-1 in the Premier League on Sunday and paid the price.

Arsenal’s £17m summer signing Lucas Perez started for the first time since the 2-0 win over Reading on 25 October, but was a peripheral figure as he and his team-mates lacked energy and urgency, especially in the first half.

Before the match, Wenger had said he hoped the victory over Bournemouth, which came following three successive league draws, would make his team more relaxed.

Earlier ,Newcastle United missed three spot-kicks as Hull City beat the Championship leaders 3-1 on penalties to reach the EFL Cup semi-final.

Hull keeper Eldin Jakupovic saved two penalties after the hosts had played the whole of extra time with 10 men following Dieumerci Mbokani’s dismissal.

Newcastle had taken the lead in extra time when Mohamed Diame prodded home Vurnon Anita’s cross to score against his former club.

The lead lasted a minute, Robert Snodgrass equalising after Matz Sels had spilled Markus Henriksen’s shot into his path.

Mbokani was sent off in the 89th minute for lunging forward with his head at Jamaal Lascelles.

The tie only came to life in extra time, the first 90 minutes featuring just two shots on targetTeenager Ben Woodburn eclipsed Michael Owen as Liverpool’s youngest goalscorer as the Reds edged past Championship side Leeds United in the EFL Cup quarter-finals at Anfield.

The Premier League hosts huffed and puffed before Divock Origi stole behind the Leeds defence to sweep in Trent Alexander-Arnold’s right-wing cross from close range.

They secured a place in the last four when Wales Under-19 international Woodburn, aged 17 years and 45 days, fired in the second to beat Owen’s record by 98 days.

Liverpool hit a post through Georginio Wijnaldum shortly before the opener, but the scoreline was somewhat harsh on the Yorkshire side.

Leeds winger Kemar Roofe curled against the inside of a post shortly after half-time.

Hadi Sacko spurned a good opportunity for the visitors in the opening 10 minutes, and Kyle Bartley nodded a free header wide after the break.

As it stands now ,Southampton would entertain Liverpool while Hull plays Manchester United respectively for the semi-final tie of the EFL cup

Do you have a gist for us??  Click here to submit your story

%d bloggers like this: