Conte Confirms Chelsea Boosted By Morata Return In Champions League Clash Against Roma

Manager Antonio Conte has revealed Alvaro Morata could return from injury when Chelsea face Roma in the Champions League at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

The club’s record signing picked up a hamstring strain in the first half of a 1-0 defeat at home to Manchester City before the international break and the striker was not involved as the Premier League title-holders suffered a shock 2-1 loss at bottom side Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Conte, though, has confirmed the 24-year-old is available again for the Group C clash

“Alvaro is in contention for tomorrow’s game,” the manager told a news conference. “He has trained with us and is in contention for tomorrow.”

N’Golo Kante, Danny Drinkwater and Victor Moses have also picked up recent injuries and Conte feels a lack of depth in his squad is to blame for the mounting list of absentees.

“The problem is we are playing the same players and they are not used to playing three games in a row,” he said.

“I have to take risks. Morata got injured against City, but if I didn’t put him in there you’d say I was crazy.

“I could have taken a risk to play Morata on Saturday versus Palace but I am not so stupid because the situation is difficult.

“For tomorrow, I am not taking a risk if I decide that Morata should play, for sure.”

Conte also confirmed he had previously expressed an interest in the Giallorossi’s star Belgian midfielder Radja Nainggolan.

“In the past we tried to buy him, but he’s Roma’s player,” he said.

“I have great respect for him, for Roma and my players.

“He’s a really good player, one of the best midfielders [in the world], but he’s an opponent.”

Do you have a gist for us??  Click here to submit your story

%d bloggers like this: