Marcus Rashford celebrates his goal for Manchester United after coming of the bench to give them a second half lead.

Marcus Rashford celebrates his goal for Manchester United after coming of the bench to give them a second half lead.Manchester United made it three over three as they beat Leicester City 2-0 at Old Trafford to continue their perfect start to the season.

Marcus Rashford and Marouan Fellaini both came off the bench to score in the second half as United made it nine points from a possible nine and 10 goals this season with none conceded.
First Half

It wouldn’t have surprised anyone what a déjà vu the first period of the game turned out to be – a combination of Manchester United’s first two games at play – the swiftness and quick interchange of passes and then the resilience Swansea showed in their last game.

The Red Devils had the same swift start they had against West Ham and Swansea, but like in the latter game, Leicester’s set-up was obvious – a reminder of how they were when they won the title two seasons ago – stay compact at the back and then launch a quick one to Jamie Vardy.

But it only took United 18 minutes to put the ball in the back of the net, Juan Mata hitting the bulls’ eye, but the flag was already raised for offside. Television replays showed the Spaniard was onside and it was a wrong call by the assistant referee.

Two minutes later, it was Mata again testing Kasper Schmeichel, as his beautiful effort looked to be going into the back of the net, but the Leicester goalkeeper’s outstretched arm came to the rescue as he saved expertly to keep the Foxes in the game and keep the scoreline goalless.

It was a difficult first half for Leicester to be fair, as first responsibility was keeping United at bay, and as a result, their attacking play was affected, with Vardy barely getting any ball in. Paul Pogba then went close for United on a couple of occasions, as his efforts from range were close, but not close enough to trouble the goalkeeper as both sides went into the break even.

Second Half

The first real highlight of the second period was the shout for handball after Danny Simpson appeared to have handled inside the box, but the referee waved play on as United’s call for a penalty was waved off. But it wouldn’t take long before the Red Devils would get a penalty awarded to them, as Simpson, again, handled the ball inside his own box and this time the referee pointed to the spot.

Lukaku stepped up, with the chance of becoming the first United player to score in his first three games in the Premier League era, but the Belgian fluffed his lines, as Schmeichel guessed correctly and the United striker missed from the spot. That should have been the lead for them.

Leicester, like in the first half, were more of containment but looked to threaten in the 57th minute, when Mahrez got the better of Daley Blind, but the Algerian’s effort was saved by David De Gea’s foot. What a rare opportunity for the Foxes.

The game went into a lull shortly afterwards in terms of opportunities, not until the 70th minute, when Manchester United finally broke the deadlock. Henrikh Mkhitaryan was in a good position to shoot, but passed the ball onto substitute Marcus Rashford , who took a one-time kick and the ball landed in the back of the net and the Red Devils were ahead.

Mourinho threw Jesse Lingard and Marouane Fellaini on, and both combined perfectly to give United the second goal. The goal looked to have spurred Leicester back to life, as they began attacking United and threatening to score. Late on in the game, Andy King went close as his close range effort was on target, but De Gea’s foot – again – saved the day for United.

Lukaku went close to make it 3-0, but his effort went wide as the referee sounded the final whistle.

Do you have a gist for us??  Click here to submit your story

%d bloggers like this: